"" bshawise: Portuguese Muffins

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Portuguese Muffins

If I were to list my top life-changing events of the last decade it would go:

1. Getting married
2. House fire
3. Discovering Portuguese muffins (aka bolos levedos)

I'm not exaggerating when I say Portuguese muffins might be the greatest thing to ever happen to me. We had them this past weekend in NYC. They were the perfectly sweet but not too sweet buns on the most delicious mini burgers I think I've ever had. The best way I can describe it is it's like I've been friends with Richie Cunningham (English Muffins and other boring breads) for my whole life and then all of a sudden Arthur Fonzarelli (bolos levedos) walked thru the door.

Leah asked the owner of the restaurant for the website of the muffin maker. We travelled home dreaming of ordering our very own, only to find out they discriminate against non-restaurants. So Leah, in her angel-like ways, found a recipe and recreated them. We ate chicken, brie and apple sandwiches last night on homemade Portuguese muffins. I've never loved Leah so much in my entire life.

Here's the recipe.

No comments: