"" bshawise: Riding Bikes with a Bishop in Development Hell

Friday, April 16, 2010

Riding Bikes with a Bishop in Development Hell

I got new pedals on my bike for my birthday. They're the kind that require funny-looking shoes with cleats that snap into place. They're awesome. So awesome that I'm not sure why it took me this long to get them. They're so much better than my old way of doing things that I almost feel silly for waiting until now to switch. I loved riding the hills of Cincinnati last year with my old pedals. Now it feels like a whole new world. The hills are still hard as hell but the new pedals help.

I've been reading a lil' book by a clever Bishop. It's awesome. So awesome that I'm not sure why it took me so long to read it. His way of looking at the world is so much better than mine that I almost feel silly for how I've been operating the past half decade. I've loved God for awhile. But now, it feels like a whole new world. Faith is still hard as hell, but this new theology helps.

I've been stuck in development hell with my screenplay for over a year now. I just learned this term in the recent months. It's when you have a script and people other than you keep telling you to FIX IT. It's been extremely hard but awesome. I've learned so much about myself and writing in the past 16 months that I almost feel silly when I think about what I thought I knew years ago. I loved the screenwriting process back when I was first learning how to even use the software. Now it feels like a whole new world. Crafting a compelling, three act story is hard as hell, but the knowledge I've acquired in development hell helps.

What's crazy but true is that someday soon I'll get some new thing for my bike, read some theologian's new book, write some new script that gets shredded by peers and I'll feel silly looking back on this moment. That's my growth process I guess. Do stuff, learn new way to do stuff, feel silly for a short spell, do stuff better and get more out of it, learn even newer better way to do stuff, feel silly, rinse and repeat.

1 comment:

ylmurph said...

I've always thought, "five years ago I was an idiot...not like now" and then repeated that thought process on a five year loop.
I'm dumb
good post